Departments: Curatorial and Education
Volunteer Host: Curatorial Manager and Education Curator
Volunteer Status: Non-paid, part-time
Volunteer Internship Location: Downtown
Hours per week: 3 hours a week
Number of Openings: 10
Under the direction of the Curatorial Manager and Education Curator, organize and maintain MCASD’s Education Library, which consists of over 5,000 books, journals, and educational material with a content emphasis on contemporary art and artists.
Library Volunteers may also have opportunities to apply for other one-day event volunteer positions throughout the year should they arise.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in recommending, developing, and maintaining cataloguing procedures for library contents and use.
- Assist in creating and maintaining an electronic tracking system of library contents and use.
- Assisting in establishing written policies and procedures for use of library materials.
- Process and route materials as requested by internal staff. Ensure retrieval of materials. Shelve items when returned.
- Greet both employees and public visitors to the Museum library and assist them with library content and questions.
- Ability to train other library volunteers if needed.
- Follow safety policies and procedures to ensure a safe learning environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE:
Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail. Excellent follow-thorough skills with the ability to execute tasks to completion. Strong technical skills with a proficiency in MS Office and electronic tracing systems or database experience. Ability to work independently and exercise good judgment. Strong customer service skills with the ability to interact with staff and visitors effectively. Knowledge of or interest in contemporary art preferred. Spanish/English bilingual preferred.
Ability to learn, comprehend, retain, and reiterate information. Ability to see, listen, and talk for extended periods. Ability to stand and walk for extended periods. Ability to remain in a sedentary position for extended periods. Ability to perform repetitive motions, making substantial movements of the wrists, hands, or fingers. Ability to use a keyboard for extended periods. Ability to lift up to 10 pounds.
BACKGROUND CHECKS AND SPECIAL LICENSING:
Criminal background check.
For candidacy consideration, please submit a resume and a personalized cover letter outlining your interest in volunteering with MCASD and your days and hours of availability.
Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing Library Volunteer_2015
Application Deadline: This volunteer opportunity will remain posted until filled.