Conditions for Reproduction
Conditions under which reproduction rights are granted for objects in the collection of the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego
- Written permission must be obtained from the Registrar of the MCASD prior to any reproduction or publication of the objects in the MCASD collection.
- The MCASD can grant the permission requested only to the extent of its ownership of the rights relating to the request. Certain works of art as well as the photographs of those works of art may be protected by copyright, trademark, or related interests not owned by the MCASD. The responsibility for ascertaining whether any such rights exist and for obtaining all other necessary permission remains with the applicant.
- Any permission for reproduction is granted for non-exclusive, one-time editorial use only. Such use excludes any reproduction for purposes of advertising or promotion.
- All negatives and color transparencies remain the property of the MCASD.
- Duplicates may not be made of reproductive materials supplied by the MCASD. Any duplicates become property of the MCASD. If reproduction is to be made from photographic materials, which are not supplied by the MCASD, the MCASD reserves the right to approve those photographic materials.
- In the reproduction process, the object illustrated in the transparency or photograph may not be cropped, bled off the page, overprinted, printed on colored stock, or altered in any way without prior written approval from the MCASD. If a detail is used, it must be identified as such.
- Full documentation credit, as supplied by the MCASD, must appear in immediate proximity to the image, or in the section devoted to photographic credits. Abbreviations are not permitted.
- Permission is valid only for the individual, company, or institution to whom it is specifically issued and may not be transferred, assigned, sold, or otherwise disposed of without written permission of the MCASD.
- The publisher is to provide the MCASD with one complete, gratis copy of the publication in which the image is reproduced. Send to the attention of the Registrar.
- The MCASD assumes no responsibility for any royalties or fees claimed by the artist, or on his or her behalf.
- The MCASD reserves the right to deny permission to reproduce an image from its collection to any applicant whose product is not acceptable to the MCASD for any reason.